We’re helping you find the best routine that will fit your busy schedule.
We live in a world that is constantly juggling selfie updates, barre class and that last minute happy hour with your besties. We hardly have a second to breathe, let alone keep up on a skin care routine. To make sure that the health (and looks) of your skin is not one of the things you leave behind, we’ve rounded up four quick and easy-to-follow skin care routines that will get you glowing skin in only a few minutes.
If You Have 5 Minutes or Less
Perfect for skin care minimalists and busy skin care enthusiasts, this routine is all about multi-tasking and practical products.
– DAY –
1. Cleansing Water: This do-it-all product cleanses and acts as a toner in only a few swipes. I take turns between Son & Park’s Beauty Water (especially when I’mer trying to get rid of acne scars or treat/prevent blemishes) and Neogen’s Real Flower Cleansing Water in Calendula (this one is my go-to cleansing water for those days when I feel my skin a bit irritated or sensitive).
You can read more about how to make the most out of your cleansing water here.
2. Essence Mist: To nourish, hydrate, and help your skin to better absorb the products that follow, add an essence mist to your routine. I personally love Acwell’s Licorice pH Balancing Essence Mist–
the spray helps to perfectly distribute the product on my skin and is one of my favorite “lazy girl beauty hacks.”
3. Moisturizer: Moisturizing lotions like Erborian’s Yuza Double Lotion are perfect for getting things done in record time. If you read my review of this product already, you’ll remember me saying how this is the perfect moisturizer for those who don’t like moisturizers at all. And that’s because it doesn’t feel like one. Shake the bi-phase liquid first and then apply it with a cotton pad all over your face and neck. One more thing that will make you fall in love with this product is its high concentration in vitamin C.
4. Eye serum: Because they absorb more quickly and thoroughly, eye serums are great for those days when you just need to get things done in record time. I use Lancôme’s Advanced Génifique Yeux Light-Pearl. Another great option is trying an eye gel like Erborian’s Seve de Bamboo Eye Matte.
5. SPF: I would say that this is the skin care step which you cannot miss, no matter what. Go for a lightweight, goop-free formula like Neogen Day-Light Protection Airy Sunscreen.
– NIGHT –
At night, make sure you put more of your energy cleansing your skin—even if you didn’t put makeup on, your skin still has SPF residue plus, dirt and pollution that accumulate throughout the day. Here’s how your 5-minute night routine should look like:
1. Oil-based cleansing tissue: See, this is a good solution even for those lazy winter days when you simply don’t want to splash water on your face, period. Try Skinfood’s Brown Rice Oil Cleansing Tissue.
2. Cleansing water: Yes, here it comes again, this time to replace your water-based cleanser and toner.
3. Essence mist: Just like you did this morning. Oh, and don’t forget to spritz it on your neck, too.
4. Moisturizer: You can use the same moisturizing lotion you used in the morning. In the case of Erborian’s Yuza Double Lotion, for example, you can apply directly onto the skin now (that is, without a cotton pad) and pat in the liquid formula. This will give you a boost of hydration at night.
5. Eye cream: Your skin will benefit more from a richer formula at night. Give Goodal’s Green Tangerine Vita C Dark Circle Eye Cream a try if you haven’t yet. Enriched with niacinamide, it moisturizes, treats dark circles and also works to reduces the appearance of fine lines in the area.
If You Have 10 Minutes
Now that you know how much you can do for your skin in only 5 minutes (or even less) it’s time to learn the smartest how to spend 10 minutes on your skin.
– DAY –
1. Cleansing Water: This should be enough to remove the products you applied the night before and leave your face (and neck!) clean for what’s coming next.
2. Toner: Since you have more time, take your skin care to the next step and add a toner. It will make sure your pores are clean, hydrate, and reset your skin’s pH balance. As the name already suggest, Neogen’s Dermalogy Pore Refine Toner is great for treating large pores. When it comes to hydrating the skin, Klairs’ Supple Preparation Facial Toner is one that will make you notice a difference in your skin right away.
3. Essence: Apply your favorite essence with your fingers while giving yourself a soft facial massage. The CosRX Galactomyces 95 Whitening Power Essence is a brightening essence (not properly “whitening” as appears in its name) highly concentrated with fermented skin care ingredients to repair and nourish your skin—think: it repairs and hydrates your skin, boost elasticity, and plump out fine lines). I deal with acne and acne scars and this essence helps to treat the skin and fade away dark spots.
4. Vitamin C + Moisturizer: Instead of applying your vitamin C, waiting until it is fully absorbed, and then applying your moisturizer, you can mix a few drops of your serum with your moisturizer gel or cream. During the day I like to add five drops of my Klairs’ Freshly Juiced Vitamin C Serum to a gel moisturizer or a very lightweight formula like IOPE’s Bio Hydro Cream.
5. Eye cream: Creamy or in a gel formula, choose your favorite and apply onto your orbital bone tapping it with your fingertips.
6. Color-correcting treatment: Yes, I love color correcting treatments and if I have a few extra minutes, this is the step I will go for. I recommend it to anyone who doesn’t like (or doesn’t want to) to slather on foundation on the skin every day. Color-correcting treatments like Dr. Jart+’s Cicapair Tiger Grass Color Correcting Treatment corrects redness and uneven tones while protecting skin from environmental aggressors. This one specifically is infused with essential minerals like magnesium, sodium, calcium, and potassium to help improve the skin’s moisture levels and restore fatigued skin for a healthy look. If you don’t feel like you need a color-correcting treatment you can go for a BB cream—the new Klairs Illuminating Supple Blemish Cream works to even out your skin tone and also to brighten up your complexion for a natural result.
7. SPF: Even after applying your color-correcting treatment or BB cream (which usually brings SPF already), you should still apply your sunscreen to guarantee your skin will be protected.
– NIGHT –
With 10 minutes at night, one thing you should definitely focus on is double-cleansing your skin. Start with your favorite oil-based cleanser and follow with a water-based one.
Then, follow with steps 2 to 5 of your 10-step day regimen.
Have More Minutes to Spare?
Some other skin care products and treatments require most of your time. That’s the case of face masks (such as Erborian’s Bamboo Waterlock Face Mask), sheet masks and some spot treatments, like CosRX’s BHA Blackhead Power Liquid. This specific one, for example, should be used after your toner but requires you to wait 20 minutes before applying anything else on top of it to guarantee full absorption and 100% efficacy—but trust me, the waiting is worth it: this powerful formula treats blemishes, large pores, and brightens your complexion all at once.