They say the eyes are the window to the soul. So it should be in your interest to keep those windows as nice as possible! Here are my best tips for brighter eyes.
We’ve always been hyper-focused on eye care here at The Klog—whether it’s listing the best eye cream for certain issues or if you even need to use an eye cream (spoiler alert: you do). We focus on this area of the face so much because your eyes are where you see aging first. Your skin varies in thickness depending where on the body it is. One of the thinnest areas (besides the lips) is around the eyes, so it’s especially prone to signs of wear and tear.
Here are five tips for brighter eyes to keep in mind every day when you care for your eyes, along with links to posts we’ve previously written with more information:
1. Never tug, pull, or rub your eyes. This stresses the skin, leading to fine lines and wrinkles. You should also never tug or pull when you’re applying eye cream! Instead, use a gentle patting motion with a finger that applies less pressure (I use my pinky!) to help the product absorb in your skin. For an extra treat, use a mask that’s especially targeted to treat the eye area like the Missha Speedy Solution Brightening Eye Patches. They’re shaped to fit under your eyes and use broccoli extract to get rid of under eye circles.
2. Don’t leave makeup on longer than you have to. When you remove it, do it right to keep the area clean. And this should go without saying, but never ever sleep in your eye makeup. Not only can doing this cause infections, it will accelerate aging. To find out how to remove makeup based on your skin type, click here.
3. Take care of your overall health. Dark circles and puffiness under the eyes can indicate you’re not getting enough sleep or hydration. Aim for at least eight hours of sleep every night and try to drink as much water as possible throughout the day.
4. Keep your skin hydrated at all times. The best way to do this is to look for good ingredients: Green tea extract can help reduce dark under eye circles, and sodium hyaluronate works as a humectant that helps skin retain moisture. One of my favorite eye creams with unique ingredients is the Erborian Seve De Bamboo Eye. It’s infused with bamboo extracts and fibers to lock in moisture in your eye area.
5. When all else fails, makeup will save the day. We can’t always get the beauty rest we want to help our eyes look perky, youthful, and awake, so thank goodness for makeup! Break out the right concealer—like the Son & Park Custom Cover Concealer Kit—to fake it until you make it.